Legal Question in Family Law in Louisiana

If a child doesn't live with the mother or the father, does the mother have a right to file child support?

Asked on 9/04/13, 3:14 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Adam Lambert The Law Office of Adam S. Lambert
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

No. Child support isn't awarded as some sort of income for the mother. It is for exactly what is says it is for--support of the child. If the child is not living with the mother, she is not supporting the child. Why would she be entitled to child support? Whomever is supporting and raising the child may be entitled to child support payments from both parents.

Read more
Answered on 9/05/13, 12:51 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Louisiana

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now