Legal Question in Criminal Law in Maryland

Assault or Self defense?

I have been charged with assault and here is the situation: My friend and I were driving home and made a stop because his car was overheating. Someone he knew came up and started beating him up with a flash light, we have hospital records and all, and I pushed the guy off of my friend and hit him a couple times, enough for us to get away, no significant damage at all. My friend went to the hospital and suffered many facial injuries. Now I am being charged with assault! Is this possible?

Steven Scheinin Steven J. Scheinin, Lawyer

Assault or Self defense?

If you have been charged with assault, you have serious charges. You should consult with a criminal lawyer, like myself, to begin preparation of your defense, which could be coming to the aid of another. It would not be self defense since it was your friend that was being attacked.

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Maryland