Legal Question in Criminal Law in Maryland

My neighbor was burglarized & the police asked my mom questions. My mom does not speak or understand English very well & I was not there to translate. I'm not sure if she understood what the police officers were asking. She received a letter asking to testify. It was not a subpoena. Can she get out of it since her lack of understanding what the police were asking her?

William Welch William L. Welch, III Attorney

A person who is summoned must appear, or else risk a possible body attachment or being held in contempt of court. Unless a person has a privilege, such as that against self-incrimination, then the person must answer questions as a witness in court. An experienced criminal defense attorney can help you evaluate the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to go to trial. Consider seeking a confidential consultation.

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Maryland