Legal Question in Family Law in Maryland

I am behind on my child support payments. I am earning less than what I owe. Maryland Judiciary Case Search reads, "Notice of Lien of Judgment for Unpaid Child Support recorded," "Request to Issue Garnishment of Property," "Writ of Garnishment-Property Issued." I'm most concerned about my car. Are they able to pursue me for my clunker? Without it, I can't go to work and make the little bit that I do earn.

Asked on 7/25/13, 8:08 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Sher Wagshal and Sher
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

It's not likely they will go after your "clunker", but they certainly will put a garnishment on your paycheck which will amount to 25% of your take home pay. If your or the other parent's income has significantly changed since the current amount of support was established, you could petition for a reduction in the amount going forward. Look for a pro bono legal program through your county bar association where you can get a free consultation if you income qualify. There may be walk in clinics available for this. Make sure you bring copies of any court papers and your recent pay stubs.

Read more
Answered on 7/27/13, 10:40 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Maryland

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now