Legal Question in Family Law in Maryland

I have a temporary protective order against my husband which granted me custody of the house and our 2 children as well. He may not contact me, come to the home or my place of work. I have temporary custody of my kids until the court date this coming Wednesday, but the are not "protected" per say. If I choose to allow my husband to see our kids before our court date, will I be in violation of my own protective order? If my mother in law picks my kids up so my husband can see them for a day, will that be a violation on my part even though I'm the one who asked for protection? thank you, Carrie

Robert Sher Wagshal and Sher

As long as you let your mother be the intermediary, and the visit takes place other than at the proscribed locations, you will not have compromised the tpo. If the order is continued following the upcoming hearing, you should ask the judge to carve out an exception so that you an initiate communication with him for child issues.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Maryland