Maryland  |  Personal Injury

Pedestrian walking on road, walking with traffice, hit by truck.

My 40 year old brother was truck by a truck walking home late at night. He had gotten pulled over earlier in the night for a traffic violation. The police found he was driving on a suspensed license. Instead of arresting him they let him walk home. While walking home he was struck by a pickup truck. My brother was walking with the flow of traffic instead of walking against traffic. I am told that my brother was walking on the wrong side of the road. He was flown to shock trauma. And release two days later but he has to have several operations yet and about a year of recovery. I am told that the 17 year old boy that hit him can not be help responsible since my brother was walking on the wrong side of the road. The boys insurance company is refusing to pay for any medical bills since the boy was not issued any tickets.

I thought that a pedestrian ALWAYS had the right away. And anytime you a driver hit a pedestrian with your vehicle you were at fault.

What rights if any does my brother have? What does the law say about this?