Massachusetts  |  Landlord & Tenant Law

Early Termination of a Lease by a Landlord(repeated question with more info)

After receiving a few answers, I realized that I didn't give enough info. Original: My landlord has notified me that they will be terminating my lease early(in September) and I've found a new apartment that is available in June. Will they be able to go after me for early termination if I leave early even though they've told me they're breaking the lease in September? The rest of the building is empty, I think they're planning on selling once it's empty. NEW INFO: The landlord told me it will cost me one month's rent to 'buy out' the lease. Is that legal? They told me of their plan to break the lease early on me, am I still at fault for breaking it earlier than they intended to break it? Should I just tell them to take me to court and see how a judge rules? There's 2 of us sharing the apt and we're just out of college and barely can make ends meet as it is, we can't afford to pay an extra month's rent PLUS the first, last and security on the new place(which is a great place but won't be open in 3 more months) but don't want to ruin our credit with this old lease trouble either.