Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Michigan

I filed a small claim case in Michigan for damages to my "property" ie my dogs vet bills stemming for a vicious attack from a neighbor's dog on my property. That neighbor has now hired an attorney and moved the case to general/civil court. I cannot afford to hire an attorney and he has already plead guilty in the criminal portion of this case. The evidence is overwhelimg, my property, unprovoked, their dog. Now the attorney has requested a "pre-trial" meeting. Any suggestions on how I can prepare for this?? Since the court venue is changed can I now request punitive damages?

Asked on 6/17/13, 11:40 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy Klisz Klisz Law Office, PLLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

There are no punitive damages allowed in Michigan. A pretrial helps the Judge gauge the case and help the parties settle if possible. Just bring along all of your proofs and you should be ok.

Read more
Answered on 6/17/13, 12:22 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Michigan

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

General Civil Litigation Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now