Michigan  |  Real Estate Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 12/05/00, 10:03 am


Hello. I have a question regarding sub-leasing. Is a landlord legally obligated to offer a means of getting out of their lease (i.e. finding an acceptable person to take their spot or ''buying out'' of their lease)? This question has come up in my workplace. We have a situation where a person (I'll refer to him as ''Billy'') has signed a lease. He has not paid his deposit and fees, but the lease was signed 11-8-00. Billy is in a situation where he is transferring to a different college and he CANNOT live in the community. The term of his lease is from 8/19/01 thru 6/21/02; he hasn't even moved in yet. Our policy is that a person cannot get out of their lease once it is signed. If he finds a sub-leasor (on an apartment he hasn't even moved into), he is still legally obligated. My question is this: Does Michigan have a law where if a person wants to be relieved of their lease obligations, they can be, provided they meet some requirement? At my former place of employment, we had two options for those with situations such as this. 1. They could sub-lease, 2. They could find an assignment (they would find a new person, pay $100 and when this person was accepted, they were relieved). I appreciate your time.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

70 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search