Minnesota  |  Constitutional Law

I have a cabin on a lake in northern Minnesota. The last time I was there, my wife and I were having breakfast when out of the blue a Mn. conservation officer (game warden) barged through the front door of my cabin without knocking or announcing who he was.

I asked him what the "bleep" he was doing and to get the "bleep" out. He said he wanted to make sure it was me and not a burglar in the cabin and he had the authority to enter any time he wished.

The strange thing about this is my wife and I have met this warden at least six times before so he knows my vehicle and had no reason to believe there was a burglar.

I told him that I appreciated his concern but to never enter my cabin without knocking first.

He got mad and on his way out he said I would never know when he would show up again.

My wife and I have never been in trouble with the law and after this last encounter, we don't feel safe at the cabin any more.

My question is just how much authority does a Mn. conservation officer have?

Don't they need a search warrant to enter my cabin without permission just like a police officer? Do I not have any right to privacy and at what point do I have the right to protect myself and my family if I feel threatened?

Thanks so much for your help.