Legal Question in Bankruptcy in Missouri

When does your bankruptcy filing show on your credit report? Is it after filing or after it's discharged?

Alicia Beeler Villines Alicia Beeler Villines (sole practitioner)

Credit reporting agencies are private entities and their conduct isn't directly regulated by the Bankruptcy Code. That being said, their reputation depends upon providing accurate information on a credit report.

If things go as well and quickly as possible. it's safe to allow about six months from the time a Chapter 7 bankruptcy petition is filed until the time that a discharge is received. Notice that I qualified this. This is a minimum and any number of circumstances--a tax refund, a creditor objection--can slow this down. Waiting to post the fact of filing until a discharge is received would not work if the goal is to provide accurate information. So, although I've never looked at one of my client's credit reports after they've filed, it is my understanding that both the filing and the discharge will/should appear on the credit report.

More Bankruptcy Law questions and answers in Missouri

Bankruptcy Law Legal Forms