Legal Question in Intellectual Property in Missouri

I have written an eBook that will be sold in various formats (PDF, .mobi Kindle, ePub, etc.).

I went through the formal channel of registering a copyright application for the PDF version of the eBook with the U.S. Copyright Office at their website.

If I am going to be selling the same book in other formats (for sale on the Kindle, Nook, etc.), is it recommended that I also file a separate U.S. Copyright application with the U.S. Copyright Office for the Kindle version and ePub version of the eBook?

I'm not sure if I can include several graphic images that are in the PDF version in the Kindle version (they don't show up as well).

Instead of featuring the images (graphics) for the Kindle version, I may need to just have written text in place of those images.

So I guess that wouldn't constitute a major revision of the book?

Patrick Tracy Patrick J. Tracy, Esq, P.E.,

Copyright law states in part that ...."an idea is expressed in a tangible medium" can be copyrighted. Once you register your work in some format whether as text on a disk or in written paper form, the legal protection will flow. As such any format that is used will be derived from the original form and the copyright will protect it.

The question whether it is such a major revision that would not be recognized as derived from the original work, then the copyright would not protect it.

If you have more substantial questions, contact an intellectual property attorney in your jurisdiction. Good luck!

More Intellectual Property questions and answers in Missouri

Intellectual Property Legal Forms