Missouri  |  Traffic Law

tags expired, ticketed on way from inspection station to DMV

I just got my car inspected. The plates expired back in November 2007. This is a project car and I just completed an engine rebuild. Head gasket blew in August 2007. This being said, the car was not drivable anytime near the month of November. I completed the repairs of my vehicle in April of 2008. I drove the car to the inpection station and it passed. Got in my car and drove the 2 block distance to the DMV. I got pulled over on this short trip for expired tags. I explained this to the officer and showed him ''time stammped'' documentation that I just left the inspection station and am now sitting in front of the DMV with the rest of the documentation to reniew the tags. The officer told me to ''Hang Tight!'' Well, He returned with a ticket for expired tags. My question is, I have to have an inspection to reniew my tags, right? Right! How do I get this vehicle to the inspection station with expired tags? I know it's too late now but would like to know for the future. The officer said ''I'm just trying to be fair.'' Could not tell me how to get a car inspected with expired tags. Thanks Festus MO Police!!!!!! Thank you in advance for your answer.