Nevada  |  Civil Litigation

Legal Question

Asked on: 1/23/13, 1:53 pm

I have no clue what type of law this would fall under....I hope I put this in the most appropriate place.

Back in August 2012 my apartment caught on fire due to the neighbor, I lived with a roommate couple. We are all on the renters insurance policy, the majority of the damage to our apartment was smoke and water. there was a restoration company that came by and cataloged everything that was damaged and removed it to be cleaned. NONE of my things were taken to be cleaned, only my roommates belongings. I told my roommate that this was all his responsibility to take care of since it was all and only his belongings that were taken. We were told that everyone had to sign the work order because the insurance wouldn't take it without all signatures. The insurance sent a check which we all had to sign since it had all our names this check was to be used to pay the restoration service and the rest was ours to keep. Instead I find out today that he has yet to pay any of the amount due, and the balance will soon go to collections. I just want to remove myself from this any way I can, NO services were rendered to ME. I understand that "legally" I am liable for payment. But is there a chance I can get a judge to remove me from financial liability?

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

70 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search