Legal Question in Consumer Law in New Jersey

Canceling a wedding reception contract

We would like to cancel a wedding reception contract that states we will owe up to 50% of the total amount if the date is not rebooked. We have given a deposit of $2,000. How can we get out of the contract? What happens if the date is not rebooked???

John Corbett Corbett Law Firm LLC

Canceling a wedding reception contract

This is a question that really cannot be answered without reviewing the contract. On the surface, it sounds as if they have you locked in to an obligation that you don't want to pay. One critical fact is the timing. That is, if you cancel, how much notice do they have?

Your best course MIGHT be to breach the contract and see if the hall gets rented to someone else. that would have the effect of reducing any damages that they could claim - perhaps to zero.

There are other parts of the contract that may give you advantage. See the contact information below and my web site if you would like me to take a look at the contract.

More Consumer Law questions and answers in New Jersey

Consumer Law Legal Forms