Legal Question in Family Law in New Jersey

My ex owes me almost $13,000 in alimony arrears. He has been paying thru the probation department. He turned himself in on a bench warrant, but the judge only ordered him to pay $1,000 towards the arrears. He is selling his business or has already sold it, can I put a lien on that property?

Robert Gleaner Robert A. Gleaner, P.C.

A Judge would need to order that the proceeds from the sale of the business be first applied to your alimony arrears before any money was released. You should ask the Judge, by way of a Motion, to give you a judgment for the arrears amount and also ask that the judgment name his business as well. In that manner, the business will not be able to be sold free and clear without payment to you.

Keep in mind that this advice is based purely on the little bit of information that you have given to me. There certainly may be other factors that would change my opinion. Further, no one can rely on advice from an attorney who has not been retained. Since it appears that you have not retained an attorney, you should contact a Family Law attorney to discuss your matter in more detail. Only then will you be able to rely on the advice. Good luck! Rob Gleaner

Robert Davies The Davies Law Firm, P.A.

If he is selling a business, please get to a lawyer and take action right away! Go after him before the money is gone.

Go talk to a nasty, smart divorce attorney near you, and take action. Nasty, smart action.

Good luck. Don't put up with this idiot. Fight back.

Robert Davies, Esq.

201 820 3460

Hackensack, New Jersey

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New Jersey