Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in New Jersey

how can I get a short certificate to retreive a family members finances to pay for there funeral?

Asked on 12/05/11, 7:24 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Jonathan Chester Lindabury, McCormick, Estabrook & Cooper, P.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

I'm not sure I understand the question.

If you are talking about a new estate, if there is a Will, then it should be probated and the executor would be appoined by the Surrogate. If there is no Will, then someone [usually a close relative] will need to petition the Surrogate's Court to be appointed as Administrator for the estate.

Read more
Answered on 12/05/11, 7:34 am
Walter LeVine Walter D. LeVine, Esq.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

I agree with Jon. Sounds like there was no Will, so someone in the family seeking appointment as Administrator is required. Contact the Surrogate in the County where the decedent resided as to who is qualified and the procedure to be used.

Read more
Answered on 12/05/11, 8:55 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in New Jersey

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now