Legal Question in Personal Injury in New Mexico

I was hurt at a store, my husband was with me,Over the phone I've agreed to an amount,when I recieved papers it asks my husband's signature, does he have to?He doesn't agree with amount,he lost time off work to take care of me for a couple weeks!

Asked on 6/18/12, 2:38 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Charles Aspinwall Charles S. Aspinwall, J.D., LLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

NM is a common law state. That gives your husband a right to some of the damages in your case. If he has a claim of his own, he should submit it. He cannot claim through you, but must make his own claim. He cannot complain about the amount you receive because of a loss he may have which has not been presented. Both husband and wife must sign a release in NM when money is being paid for personal injury and collateral damages such as loss of wages.

Read more
Answered on 6/18/12, 3:12 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in New Mexico

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88683 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Personal Injury Law and Tort Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Michael E. HendricksonAttorney & Counsellor at LawAlexandria,
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now