Legal Question in Family Law in New York

I live in new york state. I have a legal seperation that was filed in 9/2010. I would like to follow through with the divorce. In the seperation agreement, under Division of Property there is our annuity. It states that he must give me 1/2 until his death. Does this also have to be in the divorce paperwork?

Asked on 4/03/13, 6:59 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Jordan Trager Wisselman, Harounian & Associates, P.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You will need to have a qualified domestic relations order prepared for his annuity. Otherwise the plan will not know about your separation agreement and you will not get any of his annuity money. I would be happy to review your separation agreement and give you a consultation for free.

Read more
Answered on 4/03/13, 10:47 am
Steve Brodsky Esq.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Yes! You will need a QDRO.

Read more
Answered on 4/04/13, 6:29 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New York

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now