New York  |  Business Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 8/19/13, 1:29 pm

I am a partner of an LLC in NYS and will be giving up my membership interest in return for the intellectual property, trademark to the business name and website. The company name is "Where's My Media LLC". I was going to try to form a new LLC under the name Where's My Media Technologies LLC", but from my research it looks like the laws governing distinguishable name will not allow me to do that. This is unlike Texas where you can get permission from the similar business name holder to use a similar name. I could do a DBA, but since it is an internet company it theoretically can do business anywhere. So filing a DBA in all NYS counties in NYS would cost nearly $2,000.

Buying the company as a whole would be more complicated as there is a sub company that owned by Where's My Media that they want to keep. I assume that the next best option is to have the company I am leaving change their business name to something else since they have little interest in the existing name.

Once the name change is complete I am assuming I will be able to file for my new LLC under the old name of Where's My Media LLC". Do you know if there is any grace period I must wait for? Does this make sense?

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

209 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search