Legal Question in Immigration Law in New York

Income needed to sponsor a family member

I'm helping my friend find about sponsoring an alien. In order to sponsor an immediate family member for a visa how much income would he need to show. He currently make about $400 a week (20k per year)?

William Frenkel Frenkel Sukhman LLP

Re: Income needed to sponsor a family member

The answer depends on the size of the sponsor's household's size (how many family members live with the sponsor). For the household of two, the minimum income required for the sponsor is $18,212, for three, $22,887, for four, $27,562 and so on. If the income is insufficient, there may be other ways of satisfying this requirement (asset test or finding co-sponsors). Have your friend contact an immigration attorney for full answers.

The above reply is in the nature of general information, is not legal advice and does not form a client-attorney relationship.

Rachel Baskin Rachel Baskin, Attorney at Law

You can look at Form I-864P on USCIS's website with regards to the income requirements for the affidavit of support (http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-864P.pdf). As was previously stated, it will depend on household size of the sponsor. Your friend should seek the advice of an immigration attorney if he has further questions about the process.

Note: The content of this reply does not constitute legal advice or create an Attorney/Client relationship in the absence of an agreement for legal services/retainer with my office. This is just a place to start in deciding what to ask your lawyer.

More Immigration Law questions and answers in New York