North Carolina  |  Criminal Law

Hello,

I live in Georgia but own property in North Carolina that I am renting to a man I'll call "Sam". I received calls last week from 2 different individuals that live in the same community as my tenant. These individuals are pillars of the community and good friends of mine. They called to tell me that they heard that Sam was growing marijuana on my property.

I called the sheriff's department in that county and told them what I had heard. I told them that I didn't know if the rumors were true or false. A detective at the sheriff's department went to the property yesterday to check it out and Sam was arrested for "manufacturing an illegal substance".

Sam was arrested yesterday but this evening he is at home. He called to tell me that the charges are going to be dropped and that he is suing me for filing a false report.

Why would he have been arrested if no drugs were found? If drugs were found, why would the charges be dropped?

Thanks for helping.