North Carolina  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 10/14/13, 6:23 pm

Due to some major financial troubles my daughter and I have moved back in with my ex husband. He is currently under a court order to pay child support and has been for several years. He pays no bills. He lives in a home that is provided for him (rent free) by his family. They pay all utility bills and up until I moved in they were paying his child support as well. I lost all my work when the economy went down the tubes so this child support is all that we have at the moment other than a roof over our heads. I am trying as hard as I can to get work but so far (three months later) I have very little. He is $1,300 hundred dollars behind and his family is telling him they will not pay as long as I am here. My situation is that without this I have nothing to keep me going until I am able to find work. They say a judge will make me "forgive" the support owed and will stop it since I am living in his home. I am DESPERATE for help. I have no where else to go, no family or anyone other than him to go to. I understand that you can not tell me what a judge will do in any particular case but can you give me some thoughts as to how they might look at the situation as he is under a court order.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

115 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search