Legal Question in Real Estate Law in North Carolina

Property

A father passed away and didn't have a will, so by law his property and belongings were split in half and given to his wife and daughter. At the time the daughter was under the age of 18. The wife then later signed over property that was left by her husband to someone else's name. My question is, is the wife allowed to sign the property over to someone else without the permission or signature of her daugther, even if the daughter was under the age of 18 at the time? Or does that mean the wife signed her half of the property over and the daughter still has her half?

Jeff Rosner Rosner Law Firm P.A.

Re: Property

The wife is probably not allowed to do that without court approval but I'd have to look it up.

In any event, the first step is to look at the language of the deed and it might be that the wife wasn't even trying to convey the daughter's portion.

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in North Carolina