Legal Question in Elder Law in Ohio

parents going into an assisted living facility. children's names have been on their house for years. Can the assisted living facility force the children to sell the home to pay for

the assited living ?

Asked on 1/13/12, 8:25 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Elizabeth Schmitz Elizabeth S. Schmitz Attorney at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

If you are applying for Medicaid to assist in the payment of your parents' care they will look at all transfers within the past five years. If the trasnfer of the house occurred more than five years ago it will not be considered for Medicaid purposes. If the transfer was within five years then it may result in a penalty for Medicaid purposes.

It is best to consult with an attorney who handles elder law matters to review all the facts and circumstances before applying for Medicaid.

Read more
Answered on 1/13/12, 8:35 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Elder Law questions and answers in Ohio

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now