Ohio  |  Immigration Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 3/11/12, 12:46 am

I came to the US with a temporary student working visa. 2 months in I got married. No, I did not do it just for the sake of staying in the country. I did it because I love this man with every fiber of my being. We got married before my visa expired but, because of financial difficulties, we couldn't file for my status change. Obviously I can't work (I have not worked a single day illegally nor have I broken the law in any other way) so for a married couple in their early 20's with only one income coming in, you can imagine that 1500+ dollars is a lot. My questions are as follow: Is there any way that we can bypass some of that amount, by some kind of financial aid or by some kind of payment system? And once we do have that figured out, do I need a valid passport to apply? Mine expired last year. Also, once everything is filed and ok, how long should I expect to have to wait before I can work and go to school? We're not trying to do anything illegal, we're just two young people that are madly in love, looking for a normal life. Thank you.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

133 Answers given in the last few hours.

8661 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search