Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Ohio

I recieved a letter inthe mail from a Lucas County Treasurer. My adopted mother passed away several months ago. Apparently she had a property in forclusure but i never knew about it since her and I barely talked for the last 10 years. Well, in the letter they state they are looking for the next of kin. What could they want from me?

Philip Schmidt Brady, Coyle & Schmidt, Ltd.

They (presumably the lender's lawyers) want the names and addresses of next of kin so in the foreclosure lawsuit all the necessary parties are involved. You are not responsible for the mortgage or debt and it won't hurt your credit rating. You are named so that the purchaser at the foreclosure sale gets "good title."

If you give them information, it just speeds up the process and makes it less expensive for the lender.

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Ohio