Legal Question in Family Law in Oregon

Legal Name Change

I need advice on how I can legally change my name. Do I just tell companies that my name has changed? What about records and stuff similar from way back?? Do I need a lawyer if certain companies will not change my first name?? What about my social security # will that have to change to?

Asked on 1/26/98, 6:47 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Gerald Hershenson Law Office of Gerald M. Hershenson
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Legal Name Change

You should consult an attorney. To change your namerequires a court order. I am unfamilar with lawsof your state. I am sure that advertising anda court hearing may be required.

Read more
Answered on 1/28/98, 8:18 am
Alan Pransky Law Office of Alan J. Pransky
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Change of Name without court order

Just as many women change names when they get married without a court order, youcan change your name the same way. Under the commonlaw, you have the right touse any name you wish as long as you don't do it for fraudulent purposes. All youhave to do is start using your new name and consistently use the name. You shouldnotify the social security administration of your change in name and notify allcompanies.

Read more
Answered on 2/28/98, 10:10 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Oregon

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now