Legal Question in Health Care Law in Pennsylvania

1. Does some type of consent (for vent or DNR) need to be signed before a patient receives surgery? I do not know is the patient had a living will or advanced directives.

2. Should the hospital call the family after an emergency of cardiac arrest? Or is it okay for them to let a friend call the family?

3. Can a doctor refuse to transfer a patient upon the family's request? The patient was stable.

4. Is it the responsibility of the family to call a hospital to get a transfer or the attending doctor taking care of the patient?

Arthur Newmark Arthur Newmark, M.D.. Esq

Surgery requires informed consent in Pennsylvania.

If a patientís a condition is such that emergency notification is called for, I believe o tis inappropriate to delegate this to a friend. BUT this would be the patientís decision.

This is the patientís decision to accept the risks of transfer.

It sounds like you are describing a situation where you are dissatisfied with the care at one hospital.

It would be up to the patient or his representative to find a doctor to take responsibility in the second hospital.

More Health Care Law questions and answers in Pennsylvania

Health Care Law Legal Forms