Legal Question in Social Security Law in Pennsylvania

I won my SSDI claim without an attorney is my LTD insurance company(Metlife) obligated to pay me the same fee that an attorney would have received out of my lump sum settlement from SSDI?

Randall Selagy F. Randall Selagy, P.C.

I doubt that your insurance contract provides for that. I am sure Metlife wants full reimbursement. But you get an 'A' for creative thinking. You may wish to consult with an attorney about your obligations under the LTD contract.

Joseph Hanyon MHK Attorneys

Every LTD policy is different. You will have to read the policy to find out specifics; however, it is very unlikely that you will be awarded any additional money. In SSDI cases, the attorney’s fee comes out of the back-benefits. Since you did not have an attorney, this fee was not removed. As a general rule, I always suggest that SSD/SSI claimants obtain an attorney in order to guarantee that they receive the greatest amount of benefits to which they are entitled.

More Social Security Law questions and answers in Pennsylvania