Legal Question in Tax Law in Pennsylvania

what are the tax problems for selling a house and some land to a relative (sister-in-law) for far less than the market value?

Asked on 6/16/10, 11:23 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Such a sale would be viewed as part gift and part sale by the IRS which would most likely require you to file a gift tax return (though it is doubtful that you would pay any tax).

The state may also require you to pay additional transfer taxes based on their estimate of the value of the property.

There would also be a lower basis in the land which would increase her gain when she sold the property.

Often there are ways to minimize tax consequences with some simple planning. Feel free to contact me, but if not, I recommend that you contact another tax attorney.

Read more
Answered on 6/17/10, 10:57 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Tax and Taxation Law questions and answers in Pennsylvania

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Tax and Taxation Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now