Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Pennsylvania

Over a year ago I filed a claim against the decendent's estate in the state of Pennsylvania. To date, I have heard nothing from the estate. Do they have to notify me about the status of my claim? Is there a time limit for me to know if claim will be paid or denied?

Assuming that the claim was properly and timely filed, do you know what assets there are in the estate? Are the assets enough to cover any claims? If not, where does your claim fall within the order of priority? Do you know if a final accounting has been filed? Did you get notice of any hearing on that?

What I would do is check with the Orphans' Court in the county where the estate is pending and see what the status is, what kinds of assets are listed in the inventory and determine whether they are sufficient to pay the claims. You might also look to see who the personal representative is and see if the estate has an attorney.

If there are sufficient assets in the estate, you could try contacting the estate attorney or personal representative to determine when it is anticipated that the claim will be paid. If there are insufficient assets in the estate to pay all claims, then claims are paid in order of priority. You would have to determine what kind of claim you have and whether there are enough assets to satisfy the claim. If you are unsure, then you will need to consult with a probate attorney to apprise you of your rights.

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Pennsylvania