Legal Question in International Law in Syrian Arab Republic

internal child custody

My wife and her son are now US citzens. She has full custody through the US courts. Her ex husband is now trying to get custody in Syria because her son is now 13. what should we do since we are here and not in Syria

Asked on 4/08/09, 8:00 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: internal child custody

Under all applicable international treaties and conventions governing custody of children(as far as I am aware), the jurisdiction and decisions of the U.S. courts in this particular kind of matter should take precedence over anything that might emerge from any court in Syria.

Therefore, I believe, that you need not do anything

other than assidulously ignore the pettifoggery that may now be going on in Syrian courts regarding the matter.

And, if the father of this boy is serious about pursuing custody, his remedy is to come here

to the United states and hire an attorney in the state where the child currently resides to contest the matter--and not attempt to pursue some kind of extralegal trickery through some "kangeroo" type of proceeding in Syria.

Read more
Answered on 4/09/09, 10:21 am

Related Questions & Answers

    A PHP Error was encountered

    Severity: Warning

    Message: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()

    Filename: views/new_publicquestionview.php

    Line Number: 147

More International Law questions and answers in Syrian Arab Republic

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now