Legal Question in Construction Law in Texas

Fired contractor

I recently hired a painter to paint my inside of home. i paid him 50% up front for the job. We signed a contract for the job. We agreed on a start date that was changed once before without much notice. we agreed on a second start date. He and his crew showed up hours late and only worked a few hours. The work was terrible. The second day he showed up with half the crew and wanted to do alittle work that day and put off project for 5 more days because he was tired. I said that wasnt out agreement and that i needed it to be done within our said time frame because of other projects already setup to be done. He got irate with me and walked off the job. I tired calling him several times to see about my money due to me. He left a message on cell phone stating that there was over $600 in paint in the garage. I went to see and there was $350 worth of paint (found out from paint dealer). and he said he did $400 of work in 4 hours on first day. my question is what can i do to collect and money due to me?... and is it worth going to court over $600 due to me.....

Asked on 8/20/08, 2:48 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Donald Nemec Law Office of Donald C. Nemec
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Fired contractor

You could take him to a small claims or justice of the peace court and the filing fees would be less than $100. The problem with suing him is that it is questionable whether you would ever get paid. If you obtain a judgment against him, you could place a lien on his equipment and other assets - but that still does not give you 100% assurance that you would get your $600 back.

Also, if you hire an attorney for the work, you would likely be awarded reimbursement of all legal fees in the final judgment.

Read more
Answered on 8/20/08, 1:21 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Construction Law questions and answers in Texas

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Construction Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now