Legal Question in Business Law in Texas

funding agreement for invention

I have invented a product. I have a patent application on file with US. I am currently speaking with investors that want to give me start up money to build a prototype of my invention so that I can bring it to potential manufacturers and sell it. I need to know what kind of business contract I would enter into with these investors in order to ensure my invention remained mine and that they could still give me the money I need to start up. I am sure they will want some kind of return on their investment, but I don't know that it will sell so I can't give them any guarantees of return funds.

James Grissom Law Office of James P. Grissom

Re: funding agreement for invention

Fundamentally, you need an agreement that allows the investors to invest money to obtain distributions of profits - not claims to assets in particular your invention. This is complex. Please consult a lawyer. I had a client a few years ago that lost a valuable invention the same manner in which you are headed.

Peter Bradie Bradie, Bradie & Bradie

Re: funding agreement for invention

The contract is quite complex and definitely not a do-it-yourself project. You need a lawyer to handle that for you, so you don't lose your intellectual property and still get the funding you need.

More Business Law questions and answers in Texas

Business Law Legal Forms