Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

adopting niece and nephew from deadbeat mom

My sister in law is a deadbeat mom. She has 2 kids by a man who is being tried for murder. She herself was almost thrown in jail for drugs last week. She has no job and no way of paying the bills. Her gas and water have been turned off because she couldn't pay the bills. We would like to adopt the kids either temporarily while she gets her act together or permanently. We don't think she will consent but are afraid that if we call Child Protective Services they will be placed in an orphanage or in a foster home and we don't want that. We want them with us. What do we do?

Fran Brochstein Attorney & Mediator

Re: adopting niece and nephew from deadbeat mom

If you are in the Houston area, CPS is swamped and they gladly place children with responsible relatives.

Be advised to have your own attorney to represent your interests.

I would not sign anything until I had an attorney review it.

Best of luck to you!

Fran Brochstein

713-847-6000

James Grissom Law Office of James P. Grissom

CPS usually tries to keep kids within the family, particularly if someone wants them. Have you talked to CPS? You could discuss this with them for their ideas. CPS could be very valuable to you because they would investigate your claims and could help you obtain the custody or parental rights you want at little cost to you. If I were to do this, we would have to pay for the investigation as well as all of the legal work. If you want my assistance in this matter, please call me at 1-888-243-0560

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas