Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

Child visitation rights

My children are teenagers who have not had much contact with their biological father. The only way that he will pay child support is if it is deducted from his pay check. My kids have no desire to see him. He told them that they have no choice because he pays for them every month. He is aware that my son has asthma but he continues to smoke in his presence. My daughter has also found drug paraphernalia in his apartment. I have a protective order in place against him for myself. Is there a specific age that the children have a choice to decide if they want to visit or do I have to force them to go with him? I know that they can decide who they want to live with but does that also apply to visitation?

Asked on 6/19/06, 6:54 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Theresa Langford Langford Law Firm
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Child visitation rights

Most judges these days will provide, and enforce a drug and smoking ban. See about getting your decree modified.

If you don't force your children to go on visitation, he has the right to file a contempt against you. At that time, you can explain to the judge your reasons.

A better alternative is to propose a mediated modification of the decree.

Legally, a child does not have the right to refuse to go to visitation. Practically speaking, with older children, it happens frequently. If the environment is unsafe, and the possessory conservator refuses to make changes in the environment, the judge may side with the children.

See an attorney to get specific advice for what is your best approach.

Read more
Answered on 6/21/06, 1:47 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now