Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

If a parent gives up his or her parental rights, can the other parent still file for child support, and does that parent have any legal visitation rights to the child.

Asked on 10/13/09, 8:44 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Mark Dunn Mark D. Dunn
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

If a judge actually ORDERS the termination of parental rights (merely filing for it isn't enough - a parent can't just give up his rights - a judge must make a decision that termination of the parental rights is in the child's best interest) - there will be no ongoing child support (with a VERY few exceptions). The "terminated" parent will (generally - 99% of cases) have no legal rights to the child at all, and no "visitation." Generally, an order terminating parental rights does NOT eliminate past-due child support.

Read more
Answered on 10/19/09, 3:50 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now