Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Texas

life insurance

do i need a lawyer to collect on a life insurance policy on my father when the benificary on the policy was my mother, who passed away before my father did? i have 6 brothers & sisters that have no problem with this. or, can i file the ''forms'' myself? thanx.

Asked on 12/28/04, 12:30 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Peter Bradie Bradie, Bradie & Bradie
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: life insurance

You might need a lawyer to assist if the policy didn't name the children as the alternate beneficiary. The proceeds would go to your mother's estate, and then eventually 'sprinkled' out to the children, so your mother's estate may need to be probated if it hasn't already been in probate.

Since your mother died before your father, the exact order of distribution starts to get complicated. A lawyer can sort it all out for you, and assist with the needed papers. It may require probating your father's estate as well.

Read more
Answered on 12/28/04, 12:56 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Texas

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now