Utah  |  Immigration Law

Sponsor's Income/assets for I-864

My daughter-in-law entered the country on a fiancee visa and married my son. Their I-485 is on hold since he does not meet the 125% poverty income level. I have two questions.

1. Is his income based solely on the last tax return, an average of the past three years, or some other formula? He started a business and reported no personal income in 2006, but did have income in 05 and 07. I'd like to use this info to determine the level of assets he needs.

2. If several members of his extended family give him money that he puts in a savings account in his name, would those assets be looked at suspiciously, or would it not matter as long as they belonged to him? We would rather do this than enter into the joint sponsor agreement.

Thank you so much for your time. We are getting a little desperate since he only has about 10 more days to return the documentation.