Legal Question in Business Law in Virginia

I was hired at the company in December, 2007. In April 15, 2010, I had open-heart surgery. I informed my employer in advance and requested an indefinite leave of absence depending on my recovery. I ended up missing 5 months. I worked from home for a month and a half, but was told I could no longer do that in July. The company's employee manual says medical leave of absence may be requested and granted for up to 6 months, but personal leave of absence can only be for thirty days. I was told by my employer that since I left the company for more than thirty days, all my time with the company for leave accrual purposes, pay, etc. started over in April, 2010. How can this be right?

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law

Unfortunately, the issues you've raised would appear to be

matters of company policy as referenced in the employees' manual rather than those involving Virginia law since there is no requirement under Virginia law that requires employers to even provide either paid personal or sick leave benefits or those involving leaves of absence for their employees.

More Business Law questions and answers in Virginia

Business Law Legal Forms