Legal Question in Criminal Law in Virginia

fraud investigation help

Just recently I was told by the local department of social services that I was being investigated for fraud. This because I didn't report income from unemployment. However my case worker told me in a phone conversation previously that she could look up my unemployment benefits online. So I didn't I didn't report under the beliefs they could pull up my weekly benefit amounts. When it comes down to it I know its my word against theirs. All in all I have to pay back all the assistance they gave me in a three month time period all due a lack of understanding on my part. I am currently a human services major and will be finished with school in August. I donít need an criminal records on my background right now I a clean slate. Is their anyway I can beat this thing in court? Will paying back the funds make me look guilty? I am not sure how to proceed because this was definitely a misunderstanding on my behalf.

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law

Re: fraud investigation help

It would seem advisable for you to arrange for a consultation with a competent Virginia criminal defense counsel regarding this matter and whether you may have any viable defense(s)to the commonwealth's claim for reimbursement under the relevant facts and law which may be applicable to your particular case.

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Virginia