Legal Question in Criminal Law in Virginia

what is the punishment for first offence of shoplifting in va. My friend stole some stuff from sears but the value was only $64 dollars, but she paid restitution of $38. They are trying to say I knew she was going to do it, because she went in the fitting room with me when I tried a pair of shorts on. Thats when she stole the stuff, and I tried a pair of shades on and walke out the store on accident I forgot I had them in my hand. What is going to happen? Am I going to jail?

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law

No, jail is unlikely, except in Prince William County where the prosecutor's office

routinely seeks two days of jail time for all first time offenders convicted of petty

Better get an attorney to represent you in this matter, if at all possible.

Sudeep Bose Bose Law Firm, PLLC - Former Police, Prosecutors & Investigators

Criminal charge for shoplifting in Virginia is in the following statute- Code 18.2-103

Civil recovery in Virginia for shoplifting is in Code 8.01-44.4, which can be found here-

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Virginia