Virginia  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 4/10/06, 6:00 pm

Parental Rights

I am paying child support for my son and a paternity test has confirmed that he

is my son. I have visitation rights, but have stopped picking him up due to the

mother causing problems every time i do. She has threatened to take me to

court to take away my custody rights (because I wont pick him up during the

times that the court said I was allowed to) and change his last name to her own.

Can she take away my rights to see my son without my consent since I am

paying child support? If I gave my rights up as a father and allowed for his last

name to be changed, wouldn't this mean that I would no longer pay support?

Thank you.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

115 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search