Legal Question in Mediation in Virginia

Can my ex-girlfriend take a lawnmower we owned together off of my property?

My ex-girlfriend and I purchased a lawn mower togerther in May 2002. I have found $365 of cancelled checks I paid to her because of it being on her credit card. I have no record of the cash I gave her. She has been living with me in my own home for a total of two years with a 3 month break in between. She put the mower on her credit card as a good deed for me but nothing was ever discussed on what would happen if we broke up. She also was supposed to help pay half of the bills but never did. A figure of $4240.00 is an average of half of the bills for my home which I own for the two year period. My question is, can she come on my property to get a lawn mower even though I have interest in it and it has been in my possesion for over a year?

Regina Mullen Legal Data Services, PLC

Re: Can my ex-girlfriend take a lawnmower we owned together off of my property?

If she no longer lives with you and came onto your property, she has certainly committed a trespass, and you can take her to court over it,-- if you think it's worth it.

Unless Texas law is truly different, you don't really have cause to try to get back rent and expenses from her now. If you were living together all that time and she was under no obligation to pay it while she was there. She doesn't get a "jumping" obligation to pay just because you no longer live together. That sort of contract "for services" is just not recognized under the law since you clearly had an agreement to the contrary while she lived there. Two years is just too long to claim that an agrement existed that was never honored.

If you're sure you want to pursue it, then talk to a local lawyer to see what your specific court is likely to do.

A PHP Error was encountered

Severity: Warning

Message: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()

Filename: views/new_publicquestionview.php

Line Number: 121

More Mediation questions and answers in Virginia