Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Virginia

Mr. LawGuru,

My Grandmother died intestate. My grandmother owned 18 acres of land in Virginia. My grandmother had 12 children, in which my mother was one of the children. My mother died instestate (in 1970) before my grandmother (grandmother, original owner of land) died about six months after my mother). My mother had 9 children and was married to my father at the time of her death. My father remarried about 20 years after my mother died. My father died in 2006. My father also died intestate. My father's wife (my stepmother) is still living, and 7 of my siblings are still living.

I would like to know how is my mother's (biological/descendent) portion of the heir land divided up. Is my father's wife (my stepmother) entitled to any of my mother's(biological/descendent) land. Do all of my biological mother's land go to me and my siblings? Would any portion of my biological mother's (heir from grandmother) land had gone to my father and then to his new wife (my stepmother) upon my father's death intestate?


Asked on 5/23/13, 7:57 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

This question should be reposted under probate since it involves matters of

intestate inheritance which substantively has nothing to do with real estate.

Read more
Answered on 5/23/13, 9:16 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Virginia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Real Estate and Real Property Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now