Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Virginia

I rent a small apartment in VA as a farmhand apartment. The person helps take care of the property/farm animals and gets discounted rent which includes electric, hot water, heat, Direct TV. They stopped paying and stopped helping with the animals during the first 30 days they lived there and never game me a security deposit and stopped paying rent. My contact with them says during the 30 day trial period I can give them 15 days to vacate. They told me to take them to court. I can not afford that, can I do anything else to get them out? I was told that I can not shut off electric, or water but I could remove the Direct TV box because I pay for that on my bill. The electric and water I pay for too.

Asked on 8/08/13, 11:10 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Yes, you can likely shut off these freeloaders' access to your Direct TV

connection but forget about attempting to turn off their access to water and

electricity utilities which these days are often regarded as "necessaries of life" in

landlord-tenant law and which could possibly expose you to adverse legal repercussions.

And, FYI, you don't need to spend a lot of money to initiate eviction proceedings

as a Warrant for Unlawful Detainer should only cost you about $50 or so to file at your local general district court clerk's office (civil division) and they should have all the paperwork there for you to fill out to start the process (for eviction).

Read more
Answered on 8/08/13, 12:38 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Virginia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Real Estate and Real Property Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now