Legal Question in Family Law in Washington

What steps do I take for my husband to adopt my eight year old son? We have been together for over 4 years, married for over two years, and have a daughter together. Biological father refuses to sign rights over, but yet his rights have been temporarily removed because when I went into court with the GAL he refused to show up because he had finals. He has not seen his son since he was 1.5 years old. I have even gotten a total of 25.46 in child support.

Asked on 2/28/10, 11:07 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Amir John Showrai The Pacific Law Firm, PLLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You would have to bring an action to terminate your ex's parental rights and duties, and simultaneously ask the court to allow your current husband to adopt your son. Given that your ex has not seen your son in six and a half years, that constitutes abandonment under Washington law, so I think you have a decent shot at prevailing in termination of his rights and allowing your husband to adopt your son.

I highly recommend that you have an attorney help you in this process. To that end, I'd be happy to help or recommend someone to you.

Read more
Answered on 3/08/10, 3:10 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Washington

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now