Legal Question in Family Law in Washington

What steps do I take for my husband to adopt my eight year old son? We have been together for over 4 years, married for over two years, and have a daughter together. Biological father refuses to sign rights over, but yet his rights have been temporarily removed because when I went into court with the GAL he refused to show up because he had finals. He has not seen his son since he was 1.5 years old. I have even gotten a total of 25.46 in child support.

Amir John Showrai The Pacific Law Firm, PLLC

You would have to bring an action to terminate your ex's parental rights and duties, and simultaneously ask the court to allow your current husband to adopt your son. Given that your ex has not seen your son in six and a half years, that constitutes abandonment under Washington law, so I think you have a decent shot at prevailing in termination of his rights and allowing your husband to adopt your son.

I highly recommend that you have an attorney help you in this process. To that end, I'd be happy to help or recommend someone to you.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Washington