Wyoming  |  Immigration Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 7/21/11, 11:28 pm

I am on H1B visa. I want to start an LLC/C-Corp in the state of Georgia. Problem is that I am not an US Citizen and on H1B Visa (which limits me to "work" for only the company that sponsors my visa). I am considering an option where I would register the C-Corp (get an EIN using my SSN). But then I would only be passive investor/owner(shareholder). I would appoint another Manager/officer(US citizen) to run the day to day transactions. Would I be in violations of my H1B rules? Will I face a problem later on for GC Processing? I will have my SSN tied to the EIN, also I will not include the profits from C-Corp on my tax return(profits will remain within the business). Will USCIS or DHS look negatively at this and deny GC later on? Is having "ownership" in my C-Corp construed as being involved with "managing" my C-Corp?

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

115 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search