Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

After 10 years of marriage and a 7 year old daughter my wife decided she no longer wanted to be married. After not being able to convince her otherwise we separated. There was never abuse of her or my child and and i wasnt being unfaithfull although she was having a emotional affair the last 2 weeks (she says). I was employed and always paid the bills. We also had alot of debt. When she left i was left with the debt, a car note of a car i am still letting her drive, and paying my daughters

private school. It has been 8 months since we separated and we have still not filed anything not even the separation. We live in texas and and she is starting to threaten me and make demands. She says just because we live at separate residences I automaticaly owe 20 percent minimum. I no this is not true but what what are my legal obligations to her and my daughter. Im not tryin to get out of anything its just knowing we are through i just want to provide for my daughter and me and do what is expected of me lagally.

Asked on 8/01/11, 5:46 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Mark Dunn Mark D. Dunn

Start sending her a monthly check in the amount of (approximately) 20% of your net paycheck (I assume that you don't have any other children). Send it on the same day of each month. Keep a copy of each check, and keep a list of the payments. In fact, enclose a little letter with each check (keep a copy of EACH LETTER) saying, "Enclosed is a check for $800.00 for the support of Darla."

Technically, you aren't LEGALLY required to send her money, but later on, when the divorce is filed, it will make you look MUCH better in the eyes of the judge you land in front of.

Read more
Answered on 8/02/11, 6:45 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas